A review of Narconon center admission records shows that an increasing number are being admitted for prescription drug addiction, constituting as many as half the admissions in some centers.
After studying the problem of collegiate drug use or misuse, Narconon cited research that showed that as many as 60% of graduate students may abuse prescription drugs like Adderall or Ritalin.
The tragic death of talented singer Whitney Houston was mourned in an article that also noted other recent celebrity deaths from prescription drug overuse or abuse.
- In six months, Ugandan drug education specialist trained on the Narconon curriculum reached more than 100,000 children with a drug-free message.
- A field representative's conference at Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma brought dozens from all over the world together, to plan expansion for the next year.
- In Michigan, Narconon Freedom Center expanded their facilities so they can provide recovery to more people.
- The Narconon First Step program helps people through their first steps toward sobriety. To help Christian Twelve Step programs in Mexico, Narconon president Clark Carr made many trips to all parts of Mexico to help them implement the First Step procedures in their own centers, with 150 Twelve Step centers being trained on and using these techniques.
- The March newsletter announced recent expansions in Garab, Hungary, where a new center opened and in Fabriano, Italy, where Narconon Astore opened an additional center.
A Narconon executive director's conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma brought executives from as far away as Nepal, Sweden and South Africa. Some of these directors have worked in this network for as long as 40 years.
In countries as diverse as the US, Mexico, Nepal, Hungary, Russia, Kenya and Ghana, Narconon staff and volunteers participated in events supporting the United Nations Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. In some areas, there were anti-drug marches and in others, special drug education classes.
With the help of his local Catholic Church, Padre Jaime Lares established a new full-program Narconon center in Tijuana, Mexico. In August, this new center had its grand opening. A representative from the archbishop's office and the Tijuana mayor's office were present for the event.
Narconon Eslov in Sweden held a summertime celebration for its 30th anniversary with music, a celebrity program graduate as a guest, and awards for supporters in the community.
At their annual summer garden party, Narconon Denmark included commendations and awards for those who helped complete a thorough renovation of the facility so more of the addicted can be served.
During Red Ribbon Week, special drug prevention teams were sent out in Michigan, Southern California and Oklahoma, with more than 8,000 children reached in this one week about the dangers of drug abuse.
Narconon Riverbend in Louisiana expanded their facilities by adding new classrooms and administrative offices to their beautiful center in a tree-filled corner of Denham Springs.
In Oklahoma, Narconon Arrowhead announced that it had reached the 10,000 mark for people served by this holistic rehab program.
More than 160 runners were sponsored in the annual Say No to Drugs 5K/10K race in Hollywood. This was the first year Narconon Prevention & Education sponsored participants in this race.